I had assumed that as long as I introduced my kids to books at an early age that they would adopt my love of reading. Unfortunately, it did not go as planned as I had no idea how real the struggle really was to get kids reading, ha! I mean, don’t get me wrong, they ‘like’ to read and the love when we read to them, but if given the opportunity to CHOOSE to read, they choose not to. Finally, after years of struggling to get kids reading, I have come up with some tips.
- Alternate types of books – You see, all three of my kids should be reading chapter books and so I have been forcing chapter books onto them. Though there are some favorite series, I have learned to incorporate story books, non-fiction, and even magazines into the loop and it seems that it has been a hit with them.
- Visit a bookstore – The saddest day for us was when we saw that our favorite bookstore was going out of business. I mean, I understand that bookstores might not be as popular, but I have found it super helpful to allow the kids to walk through the aisles and see what books are available.
- Fill your home library with age-appropriate books, as well as fun picture books – We have loved Sterling Children’s Books for quite some time because they offer an assortment of books for all ages. Just a couple of weeks ago, they sent us two fun books for the kids to read. Hey, Coach! by Linda Ashman and If a T. Rex Crashes Your Birthday Party by Jill Esbaum. Both of the books fit perfectly into our home library because they are fun reads with great illustrations.
- Allow children to choose their own books, sometimes – This was a hard one for me as, like I said before, I tend to push what they SHOULD be reading on them. But the truth is that they need to be able to choose whatever book they want to read, every now and then. For example, Little Man is obsessed with soccer, so in between his school books and chapter books, he likes to sit back and laugh with Hey, Coach! by Linda Ashman. The rhyming picture book is just what he needs to get back in the swing of reading and it’s light humor helps him relax and enjoy a good book. Little Man especially loves the fun illustrations and thinks the coach in the book reminds him of his own coach in real life!
- Get fun books that teach life lessons – It is important to find books that teach life lessons in a fun way. Thankfully, If a T. Rex Crashes Your Birthday Party by Jill Esbaum does just that. The funny and playful story teaches young readers about the power of patience and acceptance in a cute and unexpected way that will get kids giggling through the whole book.
- Compromise – If your child wants to read a book that is below his/her reading level, instead of saying no, why not compromise. Allow them to read the easy book, if they follow it with a page or two of a more appropriate book.
In the end, I know that the struggle to get kids reading is real, but remember that consistency is key, so keep at it and remember, reading can be fun!
Get kids reading with a Sterling Children’s Books Giveaway
One lucky Adventures of 8 reader will win your own copy of each of the two books mentioned above…
- Will run from August 31st-September 14th
- Is opened to Adventures of 8’s readers – (see below)
- Is opened to the US only –
- Be sure to SHARE this giveaway because each entrant that enters with your special link, will give you MORE entries into this giveaway!
- All mandatory entries must be completed and all entries must be in the entry form
- For full disclosures, see the bottom of the giveaway entry form below!
Here’s what you need to do to ENTER – First of all – you must follow my blog – The Giveaways I host are for my wonderful readers. To be considered an Adventures of 8 reader, you must receive my once daily email or follow via BlogLovin. This is not considered an entry, but rather a requirement in order to enter any of my giveaways:) I do verify that you subscribe one way or another, at the time of the winner drawing! You can sign up for my once daily email, quick and easy, right here:
Once you are an Adventures of 8 Reader, via Adventures of 8’s email or BlogLovin, you can continue onto the Entry Form Below. Begin by adding your name and email, then click the continue button. At that point, YOU MUST COMPLETE EVERY SINGLE ENTRY that you see, (they are ALL mandatory) then once you are completed with those entries, you have the option to complete extra entries. PLEASE allow the form a minute to load. If it does not load after that, try refreshing the screen or opening the giveaway in a new browser.
⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩Enter below ⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩
*Disclosure – as stated in the post, this is a product-sponsored post. This does not change the fact that all views and opinions are honest and our own.
Post a Comment to Facebook!
Powered by Facebook Comments