Do YOU want to start writing a Product Review Blog?
Okay, so I have received many emails asking opinions on how to “begin” a product review blog. What these people do not realize is that I am new at this, myself…ha, ha, ha… BUT, when I do something I JUMP in 100% and give it my all, and I believe that shows through the popularity of my Blog. Here is how I got started and how I promoted… plus, some Do’s & Don’ts I have learned along the way…
I have been a personal Blogger for many years. I blogged about my life, so that family members in other states could keep up-to-date on my life. One day I entered a giveaway on a Mom Blog and WON! I was super excited so I started following Mom Blogs all over and it hit me, I could do my OWN MOM BLOG… and do my OWN Product Reviews…
These are the steps I took…
- I started a Blog on Blogger.com (I chose that site since I have used it beforeJ)
- I opened a separate email address for my new blog
- I chose a random design and began writing about myself, my family, and my reasons for blogging… I wanted to be sure people KNEW who I was to make it more personal
- I set up a Facebook Business Page & Twitter Page
- I joined Blogger Communities
- I contacted another Mom Blogger (Mommy Rantings, which is a GREAT blog with so much information) and asked her opinions on what I should do next. (Let me take a quick moment to thank Mommy Rantings, without all of her advice, I would not be the Blogger that I am!)…
- As per Mommy Rantings advice, I wrote the first draft of my Sponsorship Letter. This is a letter that I could easily copy and paste into any email to any company. In this Sponsorship Letter I was sure to include information about my Blog and other social sites and communities. I made sure to answer the questions: why, how, what, & who…
- Why they should sponsor a PR (not because I want free products, which by the way, I had one company tell me was in a request for PR that she had received.)
- How they go about sponsoring a PR/ Giveaway on my Blog
- What I will do to promote their PR/Giveaway
- Who I am – in this I include all my stats, including: my Alexa Rating, monthly unique followers, Blog, Twitter, & Facebook Followers, etc…
- I then wrote a review on something I knew about, my own Usborne Books and More Business and promoted it, kind of as a test…
- At this time I wanted The Adventures of My Family of 8 to stand out a bit, so I upgraded my Blog design with Princess in Pigtails Designs… they were cost effective and I loved the other blogs they had designed.
- I began looking for companies to ask for PR. (This takes some time and searching.) I started with emails to PR/media people or email@example.com, with “May I help you with a Product Review” in the subject line but after a while I realized that was not working for me, so I changed my verbiage up… until I felt more secure. Remember you have to make it appealing so that companies want to work with you.
- I searched everywhere, through Etsy and other sites and finally started getting “okay’s” from companies.
- And away I went
Don’ts – Please DON’T do the following:
- Write this – “I was wanting to know if your company would send me products to do product review on. My address is…” (Yes, this was something a Mom Blogger wrote to a company.) First of all, grammar, grammar, grammar… second, this just put a bad taste in the mouth of the company and made it seem like Mom Bloggers are only out for FREE PRODUCTS… This is so unprofessional. Thank GOD this company was ALREADY happy with my professionalism…
- Slack on follow through – I had one company who said they sent off products and the person kept putting them off for months. This is just bad taste…
- Hound companies, if a company does not get back to you, contact them once more (sometimes emails get lost) but that is it, don’t send them ten emails, LOL
- Forget to PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE…
Do- Here are some Do’s that I have learned…
- Have a button you can send via HTML or attachment so that you can promote yourself
- Be organized, I tell you, I was not organized in the beginning and I was soooo overwhelmed
- Make a calendar… give yourself two weeks to a month, to try a product out! When a company agrees to a PR, this is what I do… I send them an email that says, “I have your review scheduled to run from May 1st – May 15th, so I need to receive your product by April 10th… I hope this works for you.”
- Make a document for all your sponsors to fill out so you have it on hand…I include the following on this document:
- Contact Name
- Contact Email
- Company Website
- Company Social Sites
- Product(s) for review
- Product(s) for giveaway
- Discount or special for my readers
- Keep sponsors involved, let them know when:
- Their review will be posted
- Their review has been posted with link
- Their review is over
I hope this helps you. I am available if you need any advice or assistance and I know many, many other Mom Bloggers are available, as well. I wish you luck and hope you will link up on my Tuesday Blog Hops so that I can follow you!
Another Blog that has some GREAT Blogging Info is Mommy D’s Kitchen… so check them out, as well… And just keep your eyes open, there are a lot of GREAT blogs out there that have links for Blogging Advice.
I just heard about another site that has amazing information for you on Blogging. It is called the Blog Guidebook. You can even sign up to be listed on their site… It gives you information on how to blog, how to set up a page and more… check it out… http://www.blogguidebook.com/
If you would like help making a Blog Button on your own – Go HERE for some great information!
To see some Blogging Tips of the Day, including answers to the following questions:
How to grow your numbers! - pros and cons of Multi-Blogger Events